ORDS doesn’t require APEX, and you can run APEX without ORDS. My posts here concentrate on core ORDS features, generally REST enabling your Oracle Database.
ORDS is our middle tier JAVA application that allows you to access your Oracle Database resources via REST. In the tiniest and simplest of nutshells, GET|POST|PUT|DELETE|HEAD /db_stuff/ – ORDS maps a URI to something in your Oracle Database (a query, an object, an anonymous block, etc.), runs the appropriate SQL/PLSQL, and returns any output as JSON.
That kinda looks like this:
Here are some posts to help you get started with Oracle REST Data Services.
- Install and Configure ORDS from SQL Developer
- Creating an ORDS User
- Route Parameters OR Query Strings
- Auto REST Your Table – Insert Record(s) with POST
- Auto REST Your Table – Batch Load CSV with POST
- BLOBs and Media Types
- Parameters and :binds
- Generating Links in your JSON responses using $ notation
ALL of my ORDS Posts (also good for RSS feeds)
We have 3 other great blog resources for you when it comes to ORDS: